Saturday 26 September 2015

Thunder on the Danube

Thunder on the Danube Vol I - John H Gill



I recently picked up the first volume of John H Gill's trilogy on the 1809 campaign for a mere £1.19 on the Kindle.  Now I will admit that I have a weakness for multi volume histories. Having a job that involves a considerable amount of train travel certainly gives me the opportunity.  I'm particularly looking forward to the paperback of volume iv of Jonathan Sumption's Hundred Years War, I managed a couple of units of archers for Basic Impetus after the last one.

This didn't disappoint.  A brief build up to the campaign is followed by a detailed description of Charles' initial moves and Berthier's blunders before Napoleon arrives and takes a firm hold.  The details of unit movements are very detailed, down to individual companies at some points.  I dug out the road atlas but sadly this was too small scale for events and my knowledge of Bavaria isn't that good.  I may have to invest in some larger scale maps for the next volumes.

All in all, thoroughly recommended if you have an interest in Napoleonic warfare and makes a pleasant change from the Peninsular or Russia.  Now I really must get around to finishing Napier.  So far I've managed to resist buying a few packs of Austrians but with SELWG just around the corner the temptation is still there.  I look forward to the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment